This week’s discussion has to be celebrity gossip. I don’t know why I didn’t think to write about this in my earlier papers. This is a topic that really gets me going. Why do I care where someone’s dog goes to the bathroom or where celebrities eat their lunch or even better when they pump gas in their cars? Is it really necessary to know what other people are doing in their lives 24 hours a day?Last weekend I sat down to watch some TV and all of a sudden a ticker on the bottom of the screen pops up and says BREAKING NEWS. Well, I was anxious to see what it was, did someone get hurt, was there another writer’s strike, did Universal Studios have another fire? NO! Angelina Jolie had twins. Did this constitute breaking news written across the TV screen? The money that paparazzi pay for photos of people’s children, their dogs, their houses that you can hardly see is ridiculous. We have starving, homeless people in our country and babies that are dying from being malnourished, but some magazine will pay 15 million dollars to take a picture of someone’s kid. Is it just me or is this crazy?
At night, I like to sit down and watch cable news. I like to learn about world events, such as the upcoming elections, the war in Iraq, and the surging gas prices, instead half of the time I get to hear about how some celebrity had their multimillion dollar home foreclosed on or they wrecked their cars. I’m not denying that I sometimes do read these stories or that I don’t appreciate the creativity of their work because I do love music, movies and television shows, but I don’t see the need for people to spend so much money on pictures of someone’s personal life and make them richer than what they already are just to hear their story or see inside their lives. They chose their profession so why are they wanting to get paid more to be in the public eye and why are paparazzi willing to go thru what they do to get the shot or the story?
Just as I’ve mentioned about Reality TV in my last analysis, I believe that celebrity gossip has increased tremendously in the past year. I believe it’s because people in the entertainment gossip industry have realized that they could cash in on their stories, pictures, and interviews. So many viewers are itching to see what Britney Spears is going to do next or how much money so and so is going to get in their divorce.
Recently I saw an article on Foxnews.com about Ed McMahon having his house foreclosed on and other legal issues he is going thru and I was appalled. I know that Mr. McMahon is in the public eye, but do we think that his private business should be? The person that released that story should be ashamed of themselves. That is very private information. What if all of our financial business was published out there?
While I believe that most celebrity gossip is just that, gossip, I do admit to watching it on TV sometimes. Maybe we should all take a stand and not feed into the paparazzi and then they can’t make any money off of it. Let people live their lives and leave Mr. McMahon alone!
At night, I like to sit down and watch cable news. I like to learn about world events, such as the upcoming elections, the war in Iraq, and the surging gas prices, instead half of the time I get to hear about how some celebrity had their multimillion dollar home foreclosed on or they wrecked their cars. I’m not denying that I sometimes do read these stories or that I don’t appreciate the creativity of their work because I do love music, movies and television shows, but I don’t see the need for people to spend so much money on pictures of someone’s personal life and make them richer than what they already are just to hear their story or see inside their lives. They chose their profession so why are they wanting to get paid more to be in the public eye and why are paparazzi willing to go thru what they do to get the shot or the story?
Just as I’ve mentioned about Reality TV in my last analysis, I believe that celebrity gossip has increased tremendously in the past year. I believe it’s because people in the entertainment gossip industry have realized that they could cash in on their stories, pictures, and interviews. So many viewers are itching to see what Britney Spears is going to do next or how much money so and so is going to get in their divorce.
Recently I saw an article on Foxnews.com about Ed McMahon having his house foreclosed on and other legal issues he is going thru and I was appalled. I know that Mr. McMahon is in the public eye, but do we think that his private business should be? The person that released that story should be ashamed of themselves. That is very private information. What if all of our financial business was published out there?
While I believe that most celebrity gossip is just that, gossip, I do admit to watching it on TV sometimes. Maybe we should all take a stand and not feed into the paparazzi and then they can’t make any money off of it. Let people live their lives and leave Mr. McMahon alone!
2 comments:
Nuts..I had this topic on my list to post about.
I agree with you. Why is the private life of a celebrity of any interest to us? I think the sites, shows, and magazines are appealing to those that have poor self esteem and enjoy reading about the failures of successful people. And who cares what their babies look like?
I don't watch any of the celebrity gossip shows. Extra, E!, The Insider, Access Hollywood - none of those get any airtime on my TV. I would rather watch Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, or Who Wants To Be a Millionaire before I watch any entertainment news. At least I feel I am learning something that way. However, no matter how hard I try to avoid the TV shows, I still heard when Brittany got into another car wreck, or when 'Hanna Montana' took those scandalous photos.
I think that Don Henley said it best in his song, "Dirty Laundry".
"People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry."
There are so many examples of where the paparazzi have endangered themselves and others, where will it stop?
Post a Comment