Sunday, July 6, 2008

Assignment 1-4 Cell Phones

My first thought when thinking of popular culture was the use of cell phones. I absolutely cannot believe the dependency that we have on these devices. Trust me, I am a user of a cell phone on a daily basis. I never go anywhere without one, but why? I remember growing up we never had a cell phone. If we were out and needed to make call we used a pay phone or we just didn't call. Recently my husband and I went to the movies and I was so annoyed by all of the young kids using their cell phones during the movie. My first thought was who could they possibly be talking too, then I focused on the dependency that we have on them. Years ago I thought to myself that one day cellular companies would see huge decline in sales once everyone had cell phones, but I don't think that's happening because they always have new phones, new plans, and other devices they are trying to market. People are buying them and changing their plans constantly. I don't think I know anyone that doesn't own a cell phone. Do me a favor, the next time you are out, look at the people around you and see if you can see anyone who doesn't have a phone?

1 comment:

Andrew Brownfield said...

Hey, nice to see you online again.

My boss and I recently got smartphones a couple of months ago and we were talking about it the otherr day how it is amazing how much a simple device can streamine your communications and increase productivity.
One of the reason that we were late adopters was mainly price. To give a smartphone to a field tech that is inherently rough on equipment due to the nature of his job is not something you do with a $300 device. With the cost coming down, it is more feasible to equip the techs and engineers, both. We have seen an increase in productivity and it has helped streamline dispatching.