A current pop culture topic that I would like to discuss is reality TV. I would have never thought that reality TV would be so popular and quickly take over the air waves. I am not sure if the writer’s strike that recently ended helped bring on this overwhelming amount of reality shows or if they were already in the making. A few years ago the only reality TV we really heard about was a few shows on MTV like the Real World, or Road Rules. I also remember Big Brother being at the beginning of this cycle. Now when you turn on the television every show is a reality show, there’s shows about nannies, dogs, talent, celebrities competing against one another and the all time favorite would be the reality shows that take a look into the lives of many different celebrities.
When I was a kid, I remember watching shows like the Cosby show and Family Ties, occasionally we would watch Monday night movies, but there were always sitcoms on that ran for a lot of years. Now you can’t find a half hour sitcom to watch. Just when we as a family start to like something it’s been cancelled and replaced by a show with judges or teams making alliances. Being a huge fan of television I hope to see the days of the sitcoms come back and take most of the reality shows off. I can’t deny that I watch them, but it’s mostly because there’s nothing else to watch. I am sitting here thinking in my head what reality shows are on TV right now and just sitting here I can definitely think of 30 shows. That is absolutely insane. I recently started watching the Bravo channel and was completely amazed to see that every show on that station it seems is about someone’s life or some competition. I am a fan of the station and the shows, but I don’t remember ever seeing one written program on there. I am not saying it doesn’t exist, I just can’t think of one. In conclusion, I believe that the actors make way too much money for what they do, but give them their timeslots back already!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment